Thursday, March 05, 2009

Is That A Katana In Your Pocket Or Are You Just Happy To See Me?

Okay, some of you don't care, much, or more accurately "at all", but I love Marvel Comics. I know, not in the dress up and go to "conventions" with the Dork Patrol kind of love(if that's you I of course mean those dorks and not you dorks!). But I do like them, they are a slice of what makes people human. They are delusional, self loathing, insecure, neurotic, you name it! They run the gamut. I mean (of course I know they are fictional! Quit yelling loser at me!) they have these amazing powers and yet they still deal with paralyzing fears and phobias and a warped world view! Yeah, exactly, they are US! Which makes you feel so much better about yourself. I mean Spiderman? Hello! Issues, much? And don't get me started on Dr. Pym the wife beating narcissus!

Anyway, where I was going before the train derailed back there, is Marvel movies. I love them... X-Men, Fantastic 4 (I know they strayed a little on some plot lines...PLEASE STOP YELLING! I am not a Dork!) Hate them ... First Punisher, Daredevil really, Afflac! (picture a squawking duck, people!). I really wish they would at least pretend sometimes that they read the comics before they make the movies! Or pick the actors playing them better. And I hate when they stray too far from the real characters. I mean seriously, The Punisher (#1) was a good action flick, but not The Punisher. It seems the new version The Punisher (#2) might be on the mark with his psychosis and deep seeded death wish! I mean The Punisher wants to die! He purposely goes into places he should not, and kills a butt-load of baddies, hoping someday he's too slow so he can join his wife and kid in the next life. Period!

It is cool though that so many of my childhood heroes are making it to the big screen. And it would appear more are coming with Weapon X (please, please, please have Deadpool in it! He's crazy), Aqua Man, and The Green Lantern coming out. I just hope they try to stay true to the characters that are so flawed, and twisted because that's what made them Icons, not Hollywood hunks and hotties running around in spandex, okay that does distract (Mystique, Electra, Mrs. Fantastic) from the misguided plot lines.......Okay that is it, I don't have to listen to you people judging me! I'm going to bed!

CCB
Let him without dorkness strike me with their light sabre, or Phazer, whatever!

3 comments:

CaCaBoy said...

Reading this post made me think of that Triumph the dog interview with the Star Wars Geeks. I'm just sayin.

Oh great One said...

DAMMIT! Once again that was me. I have got to stop reading your posts right after you write them.

The Funky Bee said...

Okay, I listen to Howard Stern and he is a huge comic fan since childhood and he has many of the same gripes about them not being true to their origins. I like some of the movies, can't say I'm a huge fan, but I know enough to know when they're way off base and over-produced. It's like, come on Hollywood, if you're gonna take on icons and characters that people have been following and loved for years, at least get it right...It's kind of embarrassing otherwise.

Enjoy your dorkdom CCB, you're not that bad really! Now if you start showing up at Star Trek conventions, etc...then we have some problems ;O)